An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Couple of Anecdotes

There's no way these will come across in print as humorous as I found them in person, but maybe you'll get a chuckle... or a smile... out of them nonetheless...

Yesterday, after lunch, I was putting a child down for a nap and the boys (Cyprien - 15; Jacques - 9; Alban - 7) were creating their usual ruckus in the kitchen. They have a routine of nagging each other non-stop, verbally as well as PHYSICALLY. (Naturally. They're boys.) They're constantly swatting at each other, punching, pinching, tugging, knuckling... anything that will cause pain. So they've developed these reflexes that send them ducking when they see a brother (and his fisted hand) coming. They were in the middle of a very loud and active bout of this kind of "brotherly love" when I came downstairs from putting their sibling to sleep. I entered the kitchen. Jacques was momentarily in absentia, but approaching from the living room. Alban was facing me and Cyprien had his back turned to me. Out of the corner of his eye, this might-makes-right, cocky 15-year-old boy saw me coming and cringed. LOL! He thought I was Jacques, swinging at him. He was pretty chagrined when he realized it was the nanny. :D He did laugh though and said, "Excuse me." But you can be sure his brothers didn't let him forget too soon that he had been afraid of a girl. ;)

The other anecdote I thought I'd share took place yesterday evening. I was holding 9-month-old Capucine, standing in the little ones' bedroom. I asked Mrs. Smith if I should put her to bed for her evening nap... at least I thought that's what I asked! She hesitated for a moment and looked puzzled (normally she's a PRO at figuring out my awkwardly-worded sentences and never hesitates). Then a look of comprehension passed over her face and she said yes. It was only sometime later that I realized I had said, "Est-ce que la couche?" (i.e. Is it that the diaper?), instead of saying, "Est-ce que je la couche?" (i.e. Do I put her to bed?) I missed a two-letter word and that made all the difference. LOL! No wonder she looked puzzled!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute tales, especially #2.

To wit: Being boys does NOT mean that should behave that way indoors! There is a time a place for that and isn't contstantly and it isn't indoors! God give you strength with the lack of discipline.

IL Dottore

2/02/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger MrsDoc said...

Sing along to the tune of "Irving" --

"Nanny,
big bad Nanny...
the 142nd-fastest fist
in La France
(Nanny) (Nanny)"

Ookay - lame-o, but !

I loved the faux pas on the lingo!!
That reminds me of the Sister who was new to South America, working with little girls in a school there. One little girl did something embarassing, so she asked her pleasantly, "?No estas embarrasada?" (You're not embarassed, are you?) but that's a false cognate and actually means "pregnant".

Yours with diaper is just as funny!

Thanks for the laughs!

Love, Mom

PS - Now reading Dad's comment, I second the motion about the boys, but more mildly...every Nanny seems to have something to put up with that they wouldn't do in their own family!

2/02/2007 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home