An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Learning the Lingo

Technically, I've been in France for just over four months now... actually, to get technical, I've been here 10 days short of five months, minus two weeks for Joe and Linds' wedding. Like I said, just over four months. However, I consider the first month/five weeks an almost total wash as regards learning French. The entire month of September, I spoke to almost EVERYONE in English and they spoke to me in English. What little French I spoke was a pathetic version of "pigeon-French," that in fact, no one bothered to correct. Since the number one step in learning a language by immersion is to HEAR it and since I did not hear it much AT ALL during September, I don't think that month counts.

Therefore, when it comes to learning French, I consider that I have been immersed since about the end of October (having been in the States the first half of the month and on my own, without French-speakers around, the second half) or the beginning of November. Minus another two weeks for Christmas Vacation, during which Rose and I spoke a sorry amount of French and carried on at great length in English. :/

*punches the numbers into the calculator*
I'm estimating I've had about 8 weeks of good and profitable and consistent immersion! (Whew! That's not much!)

But that's not what I set out to talk about...

Some days, I really get into "French mode," and go at it with a pretty fair 'batting average.' Other days, I absolutely cannot get in the groove and I stumble over the simplest sentences. Practice makes perfect, though... and, while far from perfect (!), I can actually begin to feel the progress I've made. You may ask: four months here and you're only BEGINNING to feel the progress??

Yes.

Looking back, though, I find it hard to believe that I didn't know things like "ca y est" and "vas y!" There are SO many things I know now that I didn't know a few months ago. I'm really, really glad to be past that beginning part! (I can't believe I came over remembering only the present-tense endings for the verbs. Yikes!)
I don't understand everything, but if the speaker is distinct, I understand well over half of what's said. And if the topic is a familiar one, I can sometimes understand EVERYTHING!!

And that's cool.

The French words (those that are used most often anyhow) have taken on real meaning of their own. They're not translations anymore. In fact, a number of them have recently started coming to mind BEFORE their English equivalents. YAY!! :D For the everyday things, I think I can truly say that I'm beginning to think in French.

It's funny, though, because when I hear English (which is rather frequently - usually at least once a day... how's that for complete and total immersion?? LOL!), I sometimes marvel at how I can understand so easily! I sure don't take comprehension for granted anymore. :)

At the moment, I'm pretty happy with my comprehension and satisfied (though not happy) with my 'speakability.' But in a day or two, I'll probably be on the underside of the curve again - impatient with how little I know and how little I understand.
And in a few months time, I'll probably look back on this post and laugh that I thought I was coming along so well.

But for the moment, it's all good!



P.S. Although I admit that my comprehension is getting better (after all, how could it NOT??) and that my written French is perhaps on the "upswing" at the moment, I do not claim that my spoken French is very good! I don't even like my accent... how bad is that?? LOL! That's life, though.... and hopefully the accent will improve with time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

It's funny how everyone is different... I can't write French to save my life, but I can understand a good deal, with my accent being my strongest boon.

Anyhow, I am QUITE HAPPY with the future event, surely, where you will blow me (and everybody else) away. True language immersion, in MY opinion anyway, is like boiling a frog: you gotta do it gradually, if you're going to do it at all. ;-) (and you can concede to all kinds of puns there, if you'd like.)

God bless, sis!
L.

1/15/2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger MrsDoc said...

"For the everyday things, I think I can truly say that I'm beginning to think in French."

YAY!! We have met the enemy, and he is OURS!!

This is really a big, big step - you are coming along very well, Monnie!
By looking at the milestones, you are concentrating on the "front lines" advancing in battle, but there are constant smaller, less-noticeable accumulations going on in other areas all the time, which will gradually add up to a lot of ground claimed!

Forward! Adelante! (and however you say it in French! On y va! ??)

So glad to hear it all, and keep up the good work!
Love, Mom

1/15/2007 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home