An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

French Perspective

This evening, before dinner, I had a pretty good talk with Mme. Smith. (Which brought home to me that one of the hardest things about this language barrier is not being able to have a discussion, heart-to-heart talk, or anything of the sort with people here!!) We started with my reasons for coming to France and finished with the difference of outlook on marriage between our two countries. (No, those two topics were NOT related!!!)

I rather shock myself, but the truth is: I'm not quite sure why I DID come to France!! I had no concrete reason; no certain goal. Yes, I wanted to learn the language. Yes, I wanted some experience away from home, preferably in Europe. Yes, I had nothing else presenting itself for my occupation this year. But, in the end, what DO I tell people when they ask my reasons for coming?! I tell them those things, but it always sounds a bit open-ended, a little unsatisfying. Even I'm left wondering, "Why?" I don't know exactly... except that I'm sure it was God's Will for me this year. Although I may not be able to give one, particular reason for being here, I do know that I appreciate being here and that I'm enjoying it... and that even through the rough parts, I haven't REALLY wanted to leave it behind and go home. It's just like Mom said before I left, "Going to Europe is somewhat like visiting a Grandmother's house. It's not the same as home, but it's familiar." This is really true... mostly because of all the history over here that is lacking in the United States, and because the United States was colonized by Europeans.
I was telling Mme. Smith these things (well, I was trying! It was awfully stilted, I'm afraid!) and we agreed that an American's reasons for coming to Europe are very different than a European's for going to the States. She said that Europeans often go to the States just out of curiosity, for an adventure, to earn money, or sometimes for the sake of learning English (although a lot more go to Great Britain for that purpose). But she said that it's very hard for Europeans to live in America, because it is so lacking in history, in deep-seated culture, in character. This was not a slur against the United States... it's an objective fact; very true, really. She told me that many Europeans can't live in the States because it feels too empty, too shallow. I had never thought of this in as many words before, but I can totally understand it!! Heck, I'm not sure I'll be able to live in the U.S. when I get back! (LOL! I'm joking! The U.S. is my home and I do love it. But I could sense that "void" when I was home in October... how much more will I notice it upon my return this summer??)

With a slightly unusual segue (the person who was most influential in my final decision to come to France), the topic changed to cultural customs regarding dating, engagement, and marriage. Mme. Smith told me what I had already observed and heard about a little bit: the dating period before engagement is relatively quite short in France. This is because the young people go around in mixed groups quite a lot. In this way, they get to know each other (and everybody) very well without becoming exclusive or going steady. When a boy decides to ask a girl out, they typically already know each other well enough that it's not long before they're engaged to be married. Engagement lasts between six months and a year, in general.
The age at which young people marry in France is, on average, older than in the United States. Twenty-five is a pretty typical age, even for the girls. Often, both the young man and young woman have finished university and are working before they get married. That's because, in France, as Mme. Smith put it, "C'est independence ou pas de mariage." There's no moving in with the in-laws after marriage. The parents "cut their children off." It's sink-or-swim. Which is great incentive for being financially stable before taking such a serious step!
(As a side-note, Rose and I discovered over Christmas vacation that, in Switzerland, there aren't usually engagements!!! The couple just gets married. I was pretty floored when I heard that! I'm still a little puzzled how that works... I don't suppose there is ever a formal proposal in that case, but when do they set the date? And how do they know when to start planning the invitations, the dress, the flowers, etc?? But it's true: they don't get engaged in Switzerland; they just get married.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it will be tres different when you return. But remember, the USA you mostly think of is the dull KS and not a bit more historic like TX or the northeast.

LOL! I knew the Swiss were timely but how in the world can you get married without being engaged??! Even the trains have a schedule and timeline!!

Thanks for the thoughtful post.


IL Dottore

1/11/2007 4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks from this end, as well! Much appreciated, a thought-provoking read. And, bravo for trying a "discussion"! They cannot but get easier, over time, of course; there's a first for everything. Mme Smith sounds like a wonderfully solid woman, a comfort in itself.

Lots to "chew" on. Wish we lived there, but God puts us where He does, for the very best of good! (? How else to put it?)

God bless you, sis! :-)
L.

1/11/2007 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just left a 5-paragraph post, I thought, but I have switched over to the new blogger and when it asked me to sign in, it took away the post.. . . . .
Suffice to say, Thank You!
Love, Mom

1/12/2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger stefanie-d said...

hi!
somehow I stumbled upon your blog. You are American an living in France for one year! How great! (I am German) I do have relatives in France and my Mom comes originally from Switzerland...I know a lot of Swiss and be assured the do get engaged before marriage... I just thought it is very funny that someone told you that. Or how did you get that idea?
Maybe you found people who kept everything secret?
I have been to USA... and ever since I love it! Yes it is very different from Europe. But somehow life seemed to be more easy than here.
Hope you have a great time in France...
God bless you!

2/07/2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger Monnie said...

Hi Stefanie!

Thanks so much for commenting! It was a Swiss guy who told me that there are no engagements before marriage in Switzerland (or very rarely); his sister and his mom seconded the motion. His parents were never engaged before getting married. I have a hard time imagining how a person could do that though! LOL!

Monnie

2/07/2007 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home