An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Menu du Jour

I think, from time to time, I'm going to write about what we ate during the day... the French way of eating is quite healthy (one reason out of several for the fact that they are almost all QUITE slender), but I'm afraid I'll forget how they do it once I get home, so I'm gonna jot it down... and maybe a few of you readers will find it of interest too...

So, for starters:
Tonight's dinner was composed of salad and quiche. Both EXTREMELY standard fare over here.
It was a green salad, with a vinaigrette concocted with dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and another kind of oil.
The quiche was a ham and leek affair... with milk (maybe a little crème fraiche... I'm not sure; I didn't do that part of it...) an egg or two, perhaps some herbs, and I don't know what else.
Dessert was yogurt. The natural variety (sans sucre) that is sooo common over here (but that I don't recall ever seeing before I got to France). You add the sugar to it just before eating. It's sooo yummy!!

...One big problem is that they very regularly use ingredients that are not available in the United States. What a pity it is, too! You just can't find baguettes "aux Etats-Unis" ...nor crème fraiche ...nor, as far as I know, fromage blanc ...lots of things.
Oh well! I suppose the methods and principals of their eating habits can be imitated even without the ingredients, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of comments:

#1) You can indeed find these ingredients. HOWEVER, you just can't find them in Kansas (!) or other rural locales. The nice grocery stores in most of suburbia-USA does carry these items or things very similar to them.

#2) Ahhhhhhh, the leek! You lucky lady you!! You get to enjoy the leek while we have to suffer through this world with onions! Ugggghhh. It might not seem like much of a difference to most, but 'tis, 'tis indeed a chasm of quality. The leek is supreme!


Keep up the good work.

IL Dottore

12/15/2006 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home