An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Naming Customs

As far as I am aware, in the United States, there is no traditional method of selecting your child's name. He can have one or six given names (or any number any between ;)) and, in general, these depend entirely upon the parents' tastes. The child is generally called by his first given name, but I am a living example of one exception to that rule. ;) So, for all intents and purposes, there is no customary way to name American children. No method to the madness.
The French, however, do use a method. I have been told that it is customary to give the child four names.
Girls are given: a name chosen by the parents, Our Lady's name (usually as "Marie," but the forms can vary), the godmother's name, and the maternal grandmother's name.
Boys are given: a name chosen by the parents, Our Lady's name (although I know some families replace this with "Louis" for the boys), the godfather's name, and the paternal grandfather's name.

I don't know if these names are given in the order listed above, but I think it's close to that.
Just a little point, but it's cultural and there you have it.

(If any of my readers know differently, please let me know!)

* * * * * * * * * * *

On afterthought, what would my name be if done according to these guidelines?
It would be a little redundant I think, depending on whether I take my first name or the name I'm actually called by for the name given by my parents. In the former case, my name would be Mary Mary Mary Jeanne. LOL! In the latter case, I would be Monica Mary Mary Jeanne.

What would your name be?

3 Comments:

Blogger MrsDoc said...

Cindy Marie Irma Thelma Lindsey would have married
Bruce Marion George John Carroll, and had four children: Lindsey Marie Nancy Jeanne, Monica Marie Mary Jeanne, Rose Marie Mary-Ann Jeanne, and Joseph Marion Robert John.

Whew.

Is this custom true for all seven or fourteen or however many children, or just the first French child? When does the paternal grandmother or the maternal grandfather come in? Ever? What if, as in the USA, half your family were heretics of some type and there weren't any godparents? Then when you are Confirmed, doesn't that give you FIVE names? And married women, therefore, have SEVEN? This rivals the Mexican culture!! Olé! I like it! (But Mary Mary Mary Jeanne would have been a bit redundant! We would have done Mary Marie Mary-Ann Jeanne instead.) ;)
Interesting post, thanks, Monnie! (You would still be called Monnie, no doubt!)
Love, C.M.I.T.R.L.C. (Mom)

3/06/2007 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, No, No...

That last comment was inaccurate.....


ALL of them would have named: Carl Bruce Carl Bruce Carl Bruce Carl Bruce John Edward Peter Jones O'Carroll of County Louth

3/07/2007 3:51 AM  
Blogger MrsDoc said...

Correction!

Carl Bruce Ed John-James Carroll.

3/07/2007 3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home