An American in Paris

The online journal of several months abroad... in the City of Light. The chronicles, discoveries, anecdotes, and reflections that go with an American's life in the capital of France.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Two Weeks in!!

Well, bonjour! :P Okay, I realize that's really cliché but I HAD to say it. :)

Day after tomorrow will be two weeks since I left home. Two days after tomorrow will be two weeks since I got to France. It's gone slowly and quickly at the same time. It's gone slowly because it's all new (most especially the language!) and because my luggage still hasn't arrived (thank you, London-Heathrow) and I've had to rotate 3.5 outfits for the past 12 days... ugh.
However! The good news is that my bags will be arriving no later than Thursday evening!!! YAY!!! Of course, the dilemma after that will be - how to single-handedly transport my very American-sized luggage up the four flights of very French-sized spiral stairs to my little studio apartment. (And thereafter, where to put all my things?)

I spent my first week in France staying with a very hospitable and kind family in Macon (near Lyons). I was with Brittany for the week and we had a very good time... it was a very positive introduction to life in France. We were so fortunate as to see a nearby chateau (Pierreclos), Cluny, Paray-le-Monial, Lyons, and (of course) Macon. As soon as I can (maybe this weekend?), I'll post a few pictures...
This past Friday, I took the TGV from Macon to Paris... only to discover upon arrival that my apartment was still in the throes of renovation!! There was nothing there but white dust, paint, and a big mess!! So it was off to Cabourg for the weekend where I stayed with the lady I'm working for and her daughter whom I'm nannying, in their country house near the English Channel! Unfortunately, it was a cold, rainy, and grey weekend... but I can still say, for the record, that I have put my feet into the English Channel! ;)
On Sunday, it was back to Paris where I was pleasantly greeted by a now-finished, newly-renovated apartment. It's very small, but it suffices for my needs. It has a little kitchenette, a bedroom and a split bathroom. It has French-style (duh) windows, which overlook the courtyard four stories below. The decor (if it can be called that) is in a blue and white theme. It's on a quiet street but very nearby the rush and hubbub of Parisian life, should I care to submerge myself in that whirlpool. ;) There is an SSPX chapel a little more than a mile away, and the well-known (in Society circles) St. Nicolas is six miles from my humble abode.

So... I'm here at last!!! I'll keep you updated with my various adventures... of which there are SURE to be some. :)

It's 12:20 pm here and 5:20 am at home...
God bless!

A bientot!

1 Comments:

Blogger MrsDoc said...

Mais oui, bonjour!!

Great post - you gave all the nice details to catch us up to date. Can't wait for photos, God Willing!

A bientot!
Kansas Mom

9/05/2006 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home